Friday, April 16, 2010

Avalon's Birthday



My April Fool's baby turned 10! At the time of Avalon's birth I was working in a Management position of a New York City Financial Services firm.  I had accepted the position at 8 months pregnant without my employer knowing I was pregnant - I did so by hiding myself under big winter jackets, voluminous business jackets and sitting behind huge desks. I'm sure they must have wondered, but I'm not petite, so it wasn't exactly THAT obvious. Avalon was a very co-operative child - she decided not to inconvenience me and hence she was born on the Saturday and I went right back to my full time position on the Monday! (As an aside, I had widwives for both my kids and I thoroughly recommend that experience.) I felt allegiance to the company as I had been there to start the business up in Canada along with a small group of other Managers and the money was very good! I could have taken the 6 month maternity leave, but Douglas was also doing some schooling so that would have interfered and again the money was very good! Douglas & I were on completely opposite shifts so our kids were always with one of us or our extended family.


We had the family party on April 1st to celebrate my fiercely creative child's birthday (she wants to be an actress and we have no doubt she will achieve this), but tell that to my car battery - it decided to die on me as I left the office.  As a result, I was delayed in picking up the ice cream cake and getting back home to get my "party dress" on.  Eventually I made it home to Avalon & family - but it was a bit of a late starting party!  Since a lot of our family are just little ones they had to get to bed at 8pm - so it was short and sweet.  One of the prezzies that Avalon got that she really loved was a wooden box from Nana & Grand Dad filled with loonies and toonies. She got some cute little "lolly goth" clothes as well that look so adorable on her!

No comments:

Post a Comment