Friday, December 3, 2010

EL SALVADOR POSTAL SERVICE - NO MAN'S LAND

I've put my leave of absence from November 30th on hold yet again! Reasons? Well, trepidation for the challenges of living in El Salvador; job prospects for a non-spanish speaking person, education system for the girls - so in a nutshell the financial hurdles are the main reason. 

We have been working very hard to get a Visitor Visa for Douglas to come back here for a time - really hoping for Christmas (if it is approved at all)!

I sent some important Immigration documents with a money order for $100.00 U.S. via Canada Post, Express Post, Guaranteed with signature upon delivery over 10 business days ago. It was guaranteed to be delivered within 7 business days.  It was a small envelope and cost me about $55.00 to post.

I have sent a few letters and packages to him in El Salvador and only ONE ever made it to him - it was the most boring item I had posted that miraculously made it.  So, am I surprised this "guaranteed" delivery didn't make it?

Let's just say that we all kissed the package farewell before we handed it to the Postal person.  I don't blame Canada Post - in the tracking it shows it as having left Canada safe and sound and on time. 

Now they are instigating a trace on the package in El Salvador - which I am told can take up to 2 months to do ???

The money order is another problem to be dealt with! I have to pay to have a trace put on that now. 

So, in in the interim.  I was going to wait a few days - see if anything is found under a rock or a palm tree and then if nothing found, I plan to drive to the airport and pay a stranger waiting in line to fly to El Salvador to carry my small envelope to San Salvador. I think that is the safest way. 

Come on El Salvador - what is wrong with your postal service?

No comments:

Post a Comment